Wednesday, March 9, 2011

You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet?

Plato, "Meno"
SOCRATES: Do you see, Meno, what advances he has made in his power of recollection? He did not know at first, and he does not know now, what is the side of a figure of eight feet: but then he thought that he knew, and answered confidently as if he knew, and had no difficulty; now he has a difficulty, and neither knows nor fancies that he knows.

MENO: True.

SOCRATES: Is he not better off in knowing his ignorance?

MENO: I think that he is.

SOCRATES: If we have made him doubt, and given him the 'torpedo's shock,' have we done him any harm?

MENO: I think not.

SOCRATES: We have certainly, as would seem, assisted him in some degree to the discovery of the truth; and now he will wish to remedy his ignorance, but then he would have been ready to tell all the world again and again that the double space should have a double side.

MENO: True.

SOCRATES: But do you suppose that he would ever have enquired into or learned what he fancied that he knew, though he was really ignorant of it, until he had fallen into perplexity under the idea that he did not know, and had desired to know?

MENO: I think not, Socrates.

SOCRATES: Then he was the better for the torpedo's touch?

MENO: I think so.
*Dum-tee-dumtee-dumdum-ta-dum-tum*

19 comments:

  1. oh please no.

    no more mental anguish...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh please no.

    no more mental anguish...

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh please no.

    no more mental anguish...

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh please no.

    no more mental anguish...

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh please no.

    no more mental anguish...

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way, Thom Yorke and Bjork make the creepiest couple on the planet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't help it. I think Thom needs to hit Bjork with the torpedo...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do like the way the song incorporated the sounds of the train, though...

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...even if Thom should have derailed it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't help it. I think Thom needs to hit Bjork with the torpedo...
    ------
    Thersites......LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. She wouldn't need her glasses that way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The MK-48
    ----
    Silly rabbit, size doesn't...
    nevermind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do like the way the song incorporated the sounds of the train, though...
    -------
    I liked the dance moves, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The extended "base line" and "signing" by bjork make me wonder if this video wasn't designed at least in part for the hearing impaired.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmmm.
    Interesting thought.
    I have a friend who is 70% deaf in both ears. She gave me a Carla Bruni cd because she couldn't hear it.

    ReplyDelete