Saturday, December 11, 2010

Magritte's Premonitions

& Chirico's abstractions.
What is the greatest experience you can have? It is the hour of the great contempt. The hour when your happiness, too, arouses your disgust, and even your reason and your virtue.

The hour when you say, 'What matters my happiness? It is poverty and filth and wretched contentment. But my happiness ought to justify existence itself.'

The hour when you say, 'What matters my reason? Does it crave knowledge as the lion his food? It is poverty and filth and wretched contentment.'

The hour when you say, 'What matters my virtue? As yet it has not made me rage. How weary I am of my good and my evil! All that is poverty and filth and wretched contentment.
-F. Nietzsche

3 comments:

  1. This just wakes me up! I wish I knew what his paintings symbolized without having to read Freud. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's confabulation mostly... the great knowlege "gap" filler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its' heel kicks Prometheus (foresight/intuition) and forces him to jump the chasm.

    ReplyDelete