Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I Spy with my My Critical Eye...

Another mode of convalescence--under certain circumstances even more to my liking--is sounding out idols. There are more idols than realities in the world: that is my "evil eye" for this world; that is also my "evil ear." For once to pose questions here with a hammer, and, perhaps, to hear as a reply that famous hollow sound which speaks of bloated entrails--what a delight for one who has ears even behind his ears, for me, an old psychologist and pied piper before whom just that which would remain silent must become outspoken.
-Nietzsche, "Twilight of the Idols"

4 comments:

  1. Zarathustra

    Yea, something invulnerable, unburiable is with me, something that would rend rocks asunder: it is called my Will. Silently doth it proceed, and unchanged throughout the years.

    Its course will it go upon my feet, mine old Will; hard of heart is its nature and invulnerable.

    Invulnerable am I only in my heel. Ever livest thou there, and art like thyself, thou most patient one! Ever hast thou burst all shackles of the tomb!

    In thee still liveth also the unrealisedness of my youth; and as life and youth sittest thou here hopeful on the yellow ruins of graves.

    Yea, thou art still for me the demolisher of all graves: Hail to thee, my Will! And only where there are graves are there resurrections.-

    Thus sang Zarathustra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got a good "eye".

    I regret my lack of feedback lately. Things feel kinda heavy right now.

    ReplyDelete